Facebook Lead Ads
Facebook Lead Ads allow advertisers to collect information from prospects directly from mobile ads. They make the mobile signup process easier by automatically populating contact information that users have given Facebook, like email addresses. Instead of sending traffic to a landing page where users manually fill out a form, when users click the ad, the information requested by the advertiser (name, email, etc.) is pre-populated and the user simply clicks Submit. All within the Facebook platform.
When the form is submitted, the information is collected by Facebook (for later access by the advertiser) and—if you have configured our integration—the information from the form is simultaneously passed to Sailthru to create or update a user profile. Additional campaign attribution data is also added to each user profile for use in Audience Builder.
For Facebook users, this is a seamless experience on mobile, and for you it is a very efficient method of capturing new leads. Further benefits of this approach are realized when you use Lead Ads in combination with Sailthru’s Smart Strategies to automate welcome emails or other actions for new users, as well as our Facebook Custom Audiences integration. Using the power of Sailthru’s Audience Builder with Facebook Custom Audiences, you can discover new customers that look like your best performing new leads or any other segment of your customer base.
Set up Lead Ads Integration
When you want to get started using Lead Ads with Sailthru, simply inform your Customer Success Manager. They will send you an application-specific API key with instructions on how to use it to connect your Facebook account to your Sailthru account. Here’s the process.
Connect Your Facebook and Sailthru Accounts
- Create a new account specific to this integration at this URL. For security purposes, do not use the same password that you use on my.sailthru.com.
- After logging in, you can connect your Facebook account by clicking the Facebook Lead Ads button with the Facebook logo on it.
- You are redirected to your Facebook account and presented with a permissions screen where you will need to confirm that the Sailthru Custom Audiences app has permission to manage your pages and ads. If you have already added this permission, you will not need to approve the app again and will be connected immediately.
Note: The user connecting their Facebook account will need Facebook’s “manage pages” permission for their company account.
- After completing the Facebook authentication, you’ll need to connect your Sailthru account. Click the Sailthru logo, and then underneath it, click Edit. Add the Sailthru API Key and Secret that were provided by your CSM. (This API key must be the one associated with the Sailthru account to which you want to pass lead information.)
Reminder: Each separate Sailthru account will require a new account to be created in this tool.
- Once you have added these Sailthru credentials, you will need to associate the Sailthru account with the Facebook account.
- Click the Facebook logo and then the Sailthru logo to open the dialog for the formula template.
- Select the formula template by clicking the icon below “Select a Formula Template.” (If asked for additional information and an email address for notifications, please add email@example.com).
- After clicking the formula icon, a drop-down opens with a list of the Facebook pages you have access to. Select the page that is associated with your Lead Ads.
- The selected page will display on the right hand side of the screen when completed.
- Once you have connected your Facebook Account to Sailthru’s application, you’re ready to start using Lead Ads.
Create Lead Ads
Facebook Lead Ads are managed by your marketing team within the Facebook Ads Platform. There, a Lead Ad can be created in three easy steps:
- Click Create Campaign and give it a name.
- Under Objective, select Lead Generation. Keep in mind your buying type must be Auction.
- Click Create.
You can learn more about how to set them up on this Facebook help page.
The information from lead form that you create, which is associated with the ad, will be automatically posted to Sailthru when the Facebook user submits the form. We also collect additional information such as the ad_id, the ad_group_id, and the leadgen_id which will be stored on the user profile allowing you to identify groups of users in Sailthru that signed up through a specific Facebook Lead Ad.
Confirm Successful Integration
Facebook offers a Lead Ads Testing Tool which you can use to confirm that Lead Ad information is being captured. This tool will send a mock lead with the email address firstname.lastname@example.org, including dummy data. It’s a good way to test that the integration is connected.
If you want to do a test of an actual ad, you can do that from the Facebook Power Editor tool by clicking the “View in Mobile” link under the ad preview. This will send a notification to your Facebook mobile app where you can complete the form.
In Sailthru, search for the email address you login to Facebook using the search box at the top of the screen, often this will be your personal email address if you use that for Facebook. Please note that after you have submitted the form, it may take a few minutes to appear in Sailthru.
Below is an example of vars added from a Facebook Lead Ad where additional information Country, Gender and City were added to the Lead Ad Form.
Automate Responses to Lead Ad Conversions using Smart Strategies
Acquiring a new user through Facebook Lead Ads is just the first step of your interaction with the lead. To make the most of this initial interaction, you can use Sailthru’s Smart Strategies to automate the next steps, for example, sending a welcome email, or adding the lead to a particular Sailthru list (in addition to the default list to which all of your Facebook conversions are added).
In the following example, we will create a new Custom Event in Smart Strategies for Facebook Lead Ad conversions. Every time a new lead is added via Facebook Lead Ads, Smart Strategies will initiate this event to trigger a sequence of steps.
Before you begin, ensure that
- Facebook Lead Ads integration with Sailthru has been tested successfully
- A ‘Welcome’ email template exists within Sailthru, if you’ll want such emails sent to the users who respond to your Lead Ad.
Configure Lead Ads conversion tactic
- To create a Smart Strategies tactic, go to my.sailthru.com, select Communications > Smart Strategies, and then click Create New Tactic.
- To begin creating this tactic, click the Custom Event button, and name the event facebook_lead_ad_conversion.
- For this example, let’s create an event that adds each user to a list and sends a welcome email–a common tactic, though you can customize your tactic and choose any set of available actions.
- Choose the action and select No Wait Time or, if you prefer, set a delay using the Wait Time option.
- For this example we can skip the Criteria step and move the Action step. Select your welcome email template from the Send menu. If you do not have a welcome email template created already, you’ll need to create one.
- Each user added through a Facebook Lead Ad will automatically be added to a natural list named facebook_lead_ads, but using the Modify List option within the Action steps, you can also add users to other natural lists automatically.
- Click Continue and then Finish Tactic.
The custom event triggered by Lead Ads will also pass through the following vars with the event.
|facebook_adgroup_name||string||Lead Ad Name|
|facebook_adset_name||string||Active Subscribers Lookalike Audience|
|form_name||string||Lead Form Name|
You can use a Smart Strategy to trigger different actions based on the values of the vars in the event criteria.
For example if you want to send a different welcome email based on the specific Lead Ad that the user converted from you can check the value of the facebook_ad_id in the Smart Strategy criteria to define which follow up strategies to use based on the Facebook Ad that converted.
Event vars are a powerful way to segment your messaging around specific Facebook Ad Campaigns or specific variations of Lead Ads giving you complete control on how you want to deliver the right message post conversion.
Use Facebook Lead Ads with Custom Audiences
If you are running a Facebook Lead Ad campaign to acquire new customers, you can use our Custom Audiences integration to acquire additional users similar to those acquired through your original Lead Ad.
Consider this example:
- Using Audience Builder at my.sailthru.com, create a Smart List of all users from a specific Facebook Ad who have spent at least $100.
- On the Lists page, find that list and click on the cloud icon on the right hand side of that list. A dialog window will open, prompting you to share that list to Facebook Custom Audiences.
- In Facebook, you can create a Facebook lookalike audience to identify users on Facebook who look similar to this high value segment.
- You can then target that new Lookalike Audience with a Lead Ad, closing the loop and acquiring more users!
- Lead Ads: Ad units that allow advertisers to collect information from prospects directly from mobile ads. They make the mobile signup process easier by automatically populating contact information that people have given Facebook, like email addresses.
- Facebook Custom Audiences: Custom audiences allow advertisers to target their ads to a specific set of people with whom they have already established a relationship on/off Facebook. Audiences can be defined by a unique identifier ( Sailthru uses email address)
- Facebook Lookalike Audiences: Lookalike audiences allow advertisers to target more people who look like their established customers. A lookalike audience uses several kinds of user set as a “seed”(i.e. a custom audience) and an audience is built of similar users. Lookalike audiences can be used to support any business objective: Targeting people who are similar to sets of customers for fan acquisition, site registration, off-Facebook purchases, and coupon claims, or simply to drive awareness of a brand, and so on.
We’d love to hear of more ways that you are using Facebook Lead Ads. Please get in touch with our partnership team at email@example.com and share your stories.