A Smart List is a dynamic list that updates its user membership in real time based on any criteria that you set in Audience Builder or through the API.
For each Smart List, you can set its source as one or more Natural Lists, all Natural Lists, or all users in your Sailthru account. (Other Smart Lists cannot be used as a source for Smart Lists). Only those users who are part of the source and meet your custom criteria are included.
Defining Smart Lists
You cannot directly add or remove members from Smart Lists. Each Smart List exists as a query, dynamically including or excluding users when they meet or fail to meet the list’s criteria.
For example, you can maintain lists which contain users in a certain geographic area, users who have recently opened your emails, or users whose birthday matches today’s date. The list of available criteria (available to you in Audience Builder) is wide-ranging, and highly customizable.
NOTE: If you’d like to force re-count a Smart List, hover over the Users or Valid Emails count to see when the list last counted and run a List Snapshot. The Snapshot amount,minus any Optouts and Hardbounces, reflects the valid emails on your list in real-time.
Create a Smart List
There are three options for creating a Smart List: Creating a new Smart List in Audience Builder, creating one from an existing Snapshot’s criteria, or by copying an existing Smart List.
Each method is explained below.
For more detail on this process, see the Audience Builder documentation.
- Go to your Snapshot Report in My Sailthru and click Save As Smart List.
On your Lists page, click the Copy button next to the smart list.
- When you click the Copy button, a pop-up appears asking you to give a name to your new list. Give it a unique name and click Save.
- Your new list is created. You will immediately be taken to the Edit Smart List screen for your new list.
- Make changes to the query as you wish and hit Save to prompt a fresh list count.
- The original Smart List will not be affected.
- After giving a new name to the list and saving, you’ll be taken to the Edit Smart List screen for your new list.
- If you abandon that page without making changes to the list name or details, your copied Smart List will still appear in your lists.
Manage Smart Lists
To see all the criteria and parameters that were used to generate an existing Smart List, find the Smart List in your Lists page. Hover your mouse over the list description to display the exact criteria used in the query:
Just as with Natural Lists, each Smart List is designated as either Primary or Secondary List. If you mark it as a Primary List, you can track its growth and view detailed reports on it in your List Reports page. For more information, see the page Primary vs. Secondary: What’s the Difference?
Edit Your Smart List Criteria
You can edit the Smart List criteria by clicking the list title to open the editor, which displays the list criteria and source list. You can:
- Add new criteria
- Delete or edit existing criteria
- Modify the source list.
You cannot modify the title of the list. To use a new title, you will have to create a new Smart List.