Managing Lists Overview
Sailthru uses lists to maintain segments of your user base that you can track and message across all channels. Lists can be used across email, web, and mobile.
Types of Lists
You can create two types of lists – Natural and Smart Lists:
- Natural Lists: a main repository for your users, who are typically added to these lists deliberately on acquisition, import, or through one-time Audience Builder queries, and
- Smart Lists, with users sourced from your Natural Lists. Smart Lists add/remove users automatically in real-time based on your custom Audience Builder criteria. For example, you could create dynamic lists of:
- high-value users, to send special offers or to regularly push to Facebook to find similar prospects
- users who have not opened email recently, to suppress them from sends and target them through other channels
- users who share a particular interest, location, signup source, or any other data point, to target communications accordingly
A user can exist on any number of lists. Information about each user is stored in their user profile, no matter how many lists the user is on.
- A user can also have no list memberships; though typically, when the user is added to your account for the first time, you have imported the user to a specific list or configured the acquisition method to automatically add the user to an applicable list.
- Your account can maintain up to a maximum of 2000 lists.
Whether a list is a Natural or Smart List, you have the option mark it as either a:
- Primary List if you would like changes to the list to be tracked for reporting, or
- Secondary List if the list does not require reports, for example, it is for a test or other one-time use.
The Lists Interface
To access the Lists page in My Sailthru, from the Users menu, select Lists.
On the Lists page, you can:
- View all lists, or toggle between just Primary, Secondary, and Smart Lists.
- Search for an existing list
- Create a New List
- Access Reports on List
- Begin an Audience Builder query on a list
- Perform an individual User Lookup
In the table that displays your lists, you’ll find the following columns
- Primary – Use the toggle to determine whether the list is classified Primary or Secondary.
- Green/right [screenshot] means Primary
- Red/left [screenshot] means Secondary
- List – The list name. Click to view options for modifying the list. These will differ depending on whether the list is a Primary List or a Smart List.
- Users – Number of users on the list.
- Valid Emails – Number of users on the list, minus hardbounced and opted out users. See User Engagement Levels page for a definition of “hardbounce”.
- Created – List creation date and timestamp.
- Last Send - Timestamp of the last email send using this list.
- List Functions – In the rightmost column, use the icons to perform the following functions
Copy a Smart List
Get Reports on your list
Download your list as a CSV file
Sync your list to other services and partners
Rename this list
Delete this list