Build a Signup Page
New subscribers should be collected on a signup page. Email addresses will be added to the Sailthru List that you designate, and any personal data you collect will be added to individual user profiles as custom fields.
An example signup page comes pre-configured in your Sailthru account.
- By default, Sailthru automatically detects Custom Field Value types. If your account was created before January 2019, talk to your CSM or to Support to enable this feature.
- To protect you from bot signup, ReCaptcha is automatically enabled on Hosted Sign Up pages. If you don’t see ReCaptcha on your page, contact your CSM or Support for assistance.
- You must use the Sailthru-provided ReCaptcha. Your own ReCaptcha service will not work with a Sailthru hosted signup page. If you don’t have ReCaptcha on your signup pages, contact your CSM or Support.
- Checkboxes or radio buttons for any cases where a user will sign up for multiple lists.
- An input tag with
name="email"to collect the subscriber’s email address.
- Form HTML must begin with
- A ‘submit‘ button must be used to save user data.
- You may use nested variables on an input. For example:
<input type="text" name="vars[parents_kids][age]"/>
Build a Page
- From Content tab, click Hosted Pages. Then click “New Page.”
- The Name of the new page will be part of the URL, so name it something user-friendly. For Type, select “Sign Up.”
- Use the various tabs below to code and configure your page.
The Actions tab allows you to select:
- List – the list the subscriber will become a part of (for multiple lists, see Inputs below). Only Primary Natural Lists can be used currently.
- Welcome Email – choose the transactional email the subscriber will receive (this must have been created in templates)
- Redirect – page to redirect to e.g. a “thank you” page (this must already exist in Hosted Pages in order to appear in the drop-down)
HTML Form Inputs
In the Code tab, drop your HTML and CSS. View the final product in the Preview tab.
In the Code tab, create an HTML input form in which a subscriber will enter their information.
<form method="post"> </form>
Signup pages require an input tag with the field name
<input name="email" type="text" style="width: 400px; height: 25px;" data-validation="required email"/>
In order to submit the subscriber’s info, you must have an input tag with
<input type="submit" name="submit" id="sign-up" value="SIGN UP" />
Anyone who signs up through this page will be added to the list selected in the Actions tab.
If you have multiple lists, you’ll need to add an input tag with the name of that list as a key in the lists array:
<input name="lists[daily]" style="margin-left: 15px;" type="checkbox" checked="checked" /><label for="box1"> Daily Newsletter</label>
To track the source of new signups and see reporting in the Sailthru Source Report, simply add the
sourcevariable to your code. The source variable is attributed to the
<input type="hidden" name="vars[source]" value="myvariablename" />
For example, email addresses that you got from a special contest page could have a source variable of “contest.” The user’s signup would be recorded in the Source Report under
<form method="post"> <input type="text" name="email" /> <input type="hidden" name="vars[source]" value="contest" /> <input type="submit" value="Subscribe" /> </form>
Note that the default URL will begin with cb.sailthru.com unless you add a Link Domain to your Settings page.
You can find the URL for your page listed on the main Hosted Pages interface.
Is a Link Domain required?
It’s not required, but is highly recommended; if you choose not to use it, rewritten links within your emails will point to
http://cb.sailthru.com instead of your own domain. The purpose of the Link Domain is to have your links appear as if they are from your site.
We rewrite all links (see Link Tracking) so we can track your clicks for metric reporting. If you have a Link Domain, links will be rewritten using that. For example:
http://link.mydomain.com instead of
Note also that a Link Domain is required if you wish to use Sailthru’s Purchase API.
Last, please note that if you ever decide to change your Link Domain, you should not delete the old one in your settings or links will break in old emails. Instead add the new one to the field separated by a comma. For example: