Track Your Inventory’s Stock
We’re very excited to announce that you can now sync inventory levels with Sailthru! Limiting product recommendations to those items which are currently in stock is done automatically! You can also choose to further customize how inventory levels affect product recommendations.
Several related capabilities have also been released to help our Commerce clients make the most of this new feature. (You can tell if your account is enabled for Commerce if you see the Purchase Log in your left-nav menu under Analytics.)
Keep Inventory Up to Date in Sailthru
- Update a product’s current stock level. Use the Content API to add or update the new “inventory” parameter.
- Batch update your content. Set your backend to update all inventory changes overnight, ensuring our systems stay in sync.*
- Automatic Purchase API integration. Each purchase passed through the Purchase API will automatically find and decrement the purchased content’s inventory level appropriately.
*The batch updating Job has all the same capabilities of the Content API POST, so it can also be used to bulk-update any content metadata, not just inventory.
Use Inventory Levels In Sailthru
- Each item’s stock level is now included with it in all Sailthru-generated feeds, which means you can use Zephyr for dynamic displays based on inventory.
- Content feeds are now able to filter out all content with an inventory level of 0. Configurable per feed and defaulted to ‘on’.
- Your feeds can now be set to include up to 3000 items, tripling the old ceiling.
And the new inventory data is not only visible within feeds…
- The Content Library page was given a visual update and the search and filtering capabilities were improved. You can filter by date range and perform a search by item URL. Commerce clients are also getting two new columns, Inventory and SKU.
Transitioning to SKU-Optimized Product Data Management
Sailthru is working to optimize the way our users store and update product information, in order to further improve our product recommendation capabilities. To this end, we now support SKU lookups, and have updated the Content API syntax for referencing products by SKU, though we will continue to support the current setup for backward compatibility.
The new syntax–the preferred syntax, going forward–supports SKU as a reference/lookup key to find, update, or delete your content. However, for now, content creation still requires a product URL. If you are adding Inventory, it would be a good time to add SKU data and transition to the updated syntax. Please see the Content API docs for specifics.
Quick guide to implementing inventory tracking:
- Update Content API calls with the inventory field. This represents the current stock at the moment of the call.
- Make no change to your Purchase API calls. Sailthru will match the URLs of purchased content to our record of it. Sailthru will handle decreasing the stock by the purchased quantity.
- Confirm Stock is passing to Sailthru. Developers can use a Content Get request or check in my.sailthru.com on the Content Library page.
- Data feeds respect inventory by default. If you would like to disable them, navigate to Content->Data Feeds in my.sailthru.com. Click the feed’s wrench on the far right side of the page. The modal has an option, “Remove out of Stock”. Set to “No”.
- Increase the number of items in your feed while in the modal from step 4. Max items is set to 1000 for existing feeds. You can increase that to 3000. Newly created feeds will default to 3000 as well.
- Send a test email of your campaigns to confirm everything looks alright.
Please reach out to your Customer Success representative or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.