Individual and grouped location based audiences
Targeting customers based on their device’s location is a powerful marketing tool (for details see here). While it has been possible to create location based/geofenced audiences for quite some time, we have made it easier to create multiple audiences at once and group multiple locations into a single audience.
It is easy to do. Simply create a .CSV file containing all the coordinates you wish to create audiences with. The csv file must be in the following format: audience_name,shape_type,latitude,longitude,radius,unit
- audience_name: The name of the audience. Specifying the same audience_name for different entries will group them into the same audience
- shape_type: Currently only “circle” is supported
- latitude: The latitude of the center point of the circle.
- longitude: The longitude of the center point of the circle.
- radius: The radius of the circle.
- unit: The unit of the radius (yards, feet, miles, meters, kilometers)
The audience_name is powerful
They way the audience_name field is used matters. It is how you determine if you are making a seperate audience or adding multiple locations to a single audience within the file. For example, if a file contains two locations with the audience name of “home” then an audience called “home” will be generated which contains both of those locations. If those two locations had different audience_name values, they would be created as seperate audiences. The .CSV file can contain a mixture of individual location audiences and audiences with multiple locations associated with them.
To upload a location .CSV:
- Click the “Import CSV” button at the top-right of the Audience page
- Select the “Locations” option
- Select the .CSV file you wish to upload using the “Choose file” button followed by the “Upload” button
- The file will be uploaded and processed. You will receive an email with a link to the audience page when the audiences have been generated